Search for Charities
Exempt Organizations Select Check is an on-line search tool that allows users to select an exempt organization and check certain information about its federal tax status and filings. It consolidates three former search sites into one, providing expanded search capability and a more efficient way to search for organizations that:
- Are eligible to receive tax-deductible charitable contributions (Publication 78 data),
- Have had their tax-exempt status automatically revoked because they have not filed Form 990 series returns or notices annually as required for three consecutive years (Auto-Revocation List), or
- Have filed a Form 990-N annual electronic notice (e-Postcard).
Exempt Organizations Select Check data is generally updated on the third Monday of each month for automatically revoked organizations and organizations eligible to receive deductible contributions, and weekly for Form 990-N (e-Postcard) filings. In addition to searching for a particular organization, users may download a complete list of each of the three types of organizations through Exempt Organizations Select Check.
Search Tips for Exempt Organizations Select Check
FOR RELATED INFORMATION SEE:
- Organizations eligible to receive tax-deductible charitable contributions
- Automatic revocation of tax exemption
- Form 990-N (e-Postcard)
- Recent Revocations of 501(c)(3) Determinations
- Suspensions Pursuant to Code Section 501(p)
In addition, you may verify an organization’s tax-exempt status and eligibility to receive tax-deductible charitable contributions by asking to see an organization’s IRS letter recognizing it as tax-exempt. You may also confirm an organization’s status by calling the IRS (toll-free) at 1-877-829-5500.
GuideStar gathers and publicizes information about nonprofit organizations. They offer both a free and a subscription based services.
Charity Navigator, advertises itself as America’s premier independent charity evaluator. They works to advance a more efficient and responsive philanthropic marketplace by evaluating the financial health of over 5,400 of America’s largest charities.