For many in the world of nonprofits, grant writing remains a daunting task. But it does not have to be this way; all you need are your professional skills and your proven passion for the organization. A huge part about writing a grant is simply reading and doing what is asked of you to do.
Since grants often do not equal long-term funding, they should be thought of as bonuses for your organization. Thus, your grant applications should fit into your organization’s greater course of action, not be the entire plan.
The Funding Information Center provides tools to help you build and sustain your programs and activities. You’ll find funding ideas as well as strategies on how to apply for federal grants.
FREE E-Book: 8 Best Practices for Major Giving
One major gift can be the difference between a nonprofit meeting its goal and that same organization coming up short. Download this free E-Book from DonorPerfect to learn more.
Why People (and Foundations) Give Away Their Money
Office of Justice Programs Grants 101
Grants, Loans, and Other Assistance
- Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
- Combined Federal Campaign Participation
- Commodity Food Distribution Network
- Federal Grants
- Grants, Programs, and Fellowships – Environmental Protection Agency
- Grants and Contracts – Department of Education
- Grants and Funding – Health and Human Services
- Resources for HUD Grantees – Housing and Urban Development
- Save America’s Treasures Grant Program
- State and Local Funding Directories for Nonprofits
Management and Operations
- Charitable Activities – State Forms and Information
- Incorporate Your Nonprofit Organization in Your State
- Nonprofit Standard Mail Eligibility
- Public Service and Volunteerism
- Telemarketing “Do Not Call” Registry
- Federal Tax Information for Charities and Nonprofits
- Tax–Exempt Status for Your Organization – 501(c)(3) and More
- Tax Exempt Organizations List – IRS Publication 78
- Tax Exempt Organizations Statistics from the IRS
- Tax Guide for Churches and Religious Organizations – IRS Publication 1828
Statistics on Grants
www.Grantproposal.com is devoted to providing free resources for both advanced grantwriting consultants and inexperienced nonprofit staff.
Proposal Writing & Research Development Links is an excellent source provided by the Office of Research Affairs of the University of Massachusetts Amherst Campus.
Need More? Read: Basic Elements of Grant Writing
Writing Grants Resource Tools:
Grants and Related Resources : National Grant Makers
The Nonprofit Gateway – This site, developed by the federal government, offers a connection to various government sites of interest to nonprofits.
Council for the Advancement and Support of Education – The primary organization for college and university fundraisers, the CASE site includes news, links and important professional development information.
Association for Professional Research for Advancement – The primary organization for prospect researchers offers a page with links to various databases and professional information. http://www.aprahome.org
Management Concepts’ Grants & Assistance Training Management Concepts offers over 20 courses in federal grants administration, including how to apply for and manage grants, draft narratives and develop budgets, and more.
Additional Resources – Provided by Matty and Ms. Sarah Golding
- What is a Grant?
- Business & Grants
- Small Business Grant Information
- Nonprofit Grants, Loans, & Assistance
Developing Ideas for the Proposal
- Nonprofit Grant Writing Tips
- Developing and Writing Grant Proposals
- Tips on Writing a Grant Proposal
- How to Write a Grant Proposal
- Grant Proposal Development
- Grant Proposal Preparation Introduction
- Endorsement Letters
- Grant Proposal Elements
- Recommendation Letter Sample
Identification of a Funding Resource
Getting Organized to Write the Proposal
Outlining Project Goals
Presenting a Credible Applicant or Organization
Stating the Problem/Purpose
- Purpose of a Grant Proposal
- Writing a Grant Proposal
- The Grant Writing Process
- Writing an Excellent Grant Proposal
- Advice on Writing a Grant Proposal
Designing a Plan of Action
Planning the Budget
- Grant Proposal Budget Preparation
- The Purpose of a Budget: Budgeting Nonprofits (from The National Council for Nonprofits)
- Grant Process Overview
- A Grant Budget Primer (International Grant Programs)
- Creating the Proposal Budget
Other Nonprofit Grant Resources
- Grant Proposal Writing Workshops
- Ideas for Small Business Grant Proposals
- Write a Winning Grant Proposal Tips