Carl Manfield, Senior Partner of Fundraising Co-Pilot, shared numerous tips for Making the Successful Ask. Fundraising efforts are in vain if you don’t know how to ask effectively.
Click here to download the webinar materials
Mr. Manfield offered seven cardinal rules of asking for gifts:
- Know your prospect.
- Understand that people give for their reasons, not your organization’s reasons.
- Know what fundraising is: it’s the process of bridging the gap between the donor’s interests and the case for your organization.
- Make face-to-face solicitations. An in-person meeting where the prospect is asked to consider giving a specific amount has a 90% probability of producing a gift.
- Listen more than you talk at the face-to-face meeting.
- Learn the four-step process:
- Describe the problem that prospect’s share
- Present the solution to the problem
- Qualify how your organization is suited to provide the solution
- Get a commitment for financial support or for a follow-up touch
- After asking, quit talking!